- Please be consistent and dependable. Your Little must LEARN to
- Give your Little the opportunity to help you! It will make him
or her feel important.
- Avoid discussing your Littles situation or problems in a negative
- Try to set small, realistic goals with your Little to build his or
her personal growth. Make it fun! Small accomplishments build
confidence and self-esteem.
- Be supportive of you Little's parent or guardian, even if you
disagree with his or her words or actions. Do not interfere if the
parent or guardian disciplines the child while you are present.
- Leave the "parenting" to the parent. Where appropriate to correct
your Little's misbehavior within the context of your friendship. Simply
be a friend!
- Say "no" to any unusual request. You are not expected to take your
Little's siblings along on your outings, baby-sit or lend the parent
- Make a habit of seeing your Little on a regular basis. It is
recommended that you plan activities with your Little several times a
month, for several hours each visit.
- Establish trust with your Little, in order to build a meaningful
- Let your Little share in the decision making when choosing an
- Call your Little's parent or guardian in advance of picking up
the child. Always try to return your Little at the time the parent
or guardian is expecting or call ahead if this time should need to
- A signed permission form from the Little's parent or guardian is
required for overnight visits. During the first year of a match, prior
consultation with and consent of Big Brothers Big Sisters is necessary.
Please discuss overnight outings with the case manager before proposing
such an event.
- Keep in touch with your Case Manager!!! It is important for the
case manager to know about any problems that you may encounter.
- Be yourself, we trust you!